Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 11:45:24 EDT
To those of you who provided the contact info for Pepsi/Mountain Dew,
thank you. I just wrote them a letter letting them know that I thought
their commercial was pretty funny, and that I loved it!

With all due respect, I think some of you who are boycotting Pepsi
products based merely on this commercial really need to lighten up!
Lets think of the logic here....if I understand this correctly, many
are upset because a statement was made: "Ferrets kill more humans
then bears" Is this a literal statement? To be perceived of as fact?

Come on! This commercial is an intentional parody loosely based on the
original Chainsaw movies, which BTW despite an overall bad response
from fans and critics, those movies went on to make a total U.S./Canada
gross of $39,517,763. To date, it has made over $50 million worldwide.
The statement; along with the commercial is *Socratic irony* -- "The
use of words to express something other than and especially the
opposite of the literal meaning." As far as I am concerned this is
advertising at its best...and like some have mentioned perhaps this
commercial is making fun of those who think ferrets are vicious?!

I am glad to read that there are a few ferret supporters who are able
to think *outside of the box* and do realize that this ferrets actions,
along with the statement is extremely unrealistic, and should not be
perceived of as "fact."

Here's a thought; maybe instead of "boycotting" Pepsi products, we
should think about supporting it, standing behind the fact that ferrets
are not vicious animals. In doing so, this could also prove to the
advertising agencies that ferret supporters are not as manic as some
would like to believe.

Oh ... and if anyone happens to witness a chainsaw-wielding ferret,
wearing a " Leatherface" mask ... wandering in the woods ...
stalking/hunting down two young kids -- please report it. It may
change my plans for camping this summer. ;)

Kris~
Ferret owner ~Graphic Design/Advertising major that does have a
sense of humor!