From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:12:00 -0400
Tony wrote:
>First of all we do not have rabies in the UK.

But the poster who was asking wasn't in the UK, was she?  If so, that
needs to be pointed out.  The last I heard the UK also was said to have
lower canine distemper rates than the U.S., but I haven't checked on that
in a number of years so it might NOT be a valid comment any longer, if it
ever was valid.

and Tony also wrote:
>As for Canine Distemper, the last time any of mine were vaccinated
>against it, I lost three ferrets and I swore that I would not have
>anymore of my ferrets go through the sort of deaths that they went
>through.

Deaths from anaphylactic shock almost never happen.

Was the vaccination done at the hospital and did you stay at the hospital
for a good while afterward?

What treatment did the vet use: Epi, fluids, steroids and antihistamine
are ALL essentials and some also need oxygen.

What vaccine was used ?  (Not the newest one, Purevax, because the timing
doesn't fit; in fact, 15 years ago there were NOT ANY CDV vax which had
been tested for safe and effective use in ferrets as far as I can recall.
You specifically say this was 15 years ago.  A *LOT* of progress happens
in 15 years, in fact *MOST* of the care needs of ferrets have been
researched and improved within those 15 years for any type of ferret
health consideration.)

Was there any pretreatment done?

When deaths happen they almost always due not being close to rapid vet
care, or not doing everything that could be done.  Even among humans --
and remember that with us anaphylactic reactions usually happen away from
medical facilities -- the death rate is quoted as being only about two
percent WITH APPROPRIATE CARE.  It's a number I know well since members
of both sides of our (Steve and mine) family go into anaphylactic shock
for some things, including Steve and me.  (BTW, if anyone here has a
child who needs to carry an Ana Kit but your schools will not let
children carry meds make SURE that the teacher has the kit (and has been
taught how to use it) and that the teacher carries the kit to wherever
your child is: playground, gym, field trip, lunch, etc., and have a spare
with the nurse.  Too many children have died due to entirely foolhardy
school policies on this score, one not long ago because the kit was kept
in the locked room of a rotating nurse who was not present in the school;
some reactions happen fast enough that even having to run back and forth
to a nurse's station or a classroom is a needless risk.  Also, when
flying, try to arrange in writing to have the flight attendants retain
the loaded epi syringe for any person who may need that quickly instead
of packing it or risking it being confiscated and tell the airlines ahead
of time about any food item which may induce anaphylactic reactions,
including if the food goes airborne, so that food will not be served on
that flight.)