Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:00:00 -0500
I called the FDA today, and talked with Dr. Randall Lovell of the Division
of Animal Feeds about ethoxyquin in animal feeds.  He was kind enough to
fax me over the pertinent regulations regarding the use of the ethoxyquin
in animal food; I can send it to anyone who needs it and who send me an
SASE.

The most interesting part is that the FDA has requested the dog food
manufacturers *voluntarily* limit ethoxyquin to no more than 75 ppm in dog
food based on studies submitted by Monsanto.  (Currently, levels twice that
amount - 150 parts per million - are legal in dog food).  This is per
regulation 21 CFR 573.380 (Ethoxyquin in Animal Feeds) and 21 CFR 573.400
(Ethoxyquin in Certain Dehydrated Forage Crops)

On a separate note, I also have the results of the study on Citricidal
(Grapefruit Seed Extract) at home, and can send that to anyone who needs
it.   It was contracted by the manufacturer of the Citricidal and sent to
me by them, at my request.  Citricidal is an antibacterial; it is not an
antioxidant like ethoxyquin.  (It's also not a food preservative; I just
happen to have both pieces of information here at once .. they are
unrelated!)

I can't remember if you need one stamp or two on your SASE to receive it;
it's fairly heavy.  But if you write to me, I'll let you know, and send you
my address so that you can send me the SASE to receive it.  I'm not
charging anything for the photocopying, but I do ask that you send an SASE,
please.  Also, please indicate if you want the ethoxyquin reg., the GSE
analysis, or both.  Thanks!

- Ela

Ela Heyn
Harborside Mail Stop 3024