Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 01:46:39 -0700
I agree; I also want to see animals! Discov-....I mean, Animal Planet,
*ahem*, has been showing these "survival" shows along the vein of "I
shouldn't be alive" lately. One, featured no animals whatsoever. Just
a guy stranded on the side of a river after a rafting trip went bad.
I forgave this, because the previous was far worse, and that program
*did* include a dog. A man was in the South American jungle with his
faithful dog when his guides supposedly were talking about murdering
him, so he escaped, and goes down the river in a canoe with the dog. He
tips, and here was my first warning: after scooping up some supplies
that he found on the side of the riverbank, he walks away without so
much as calling for his "best friend". I think 40 miles later, the dog
catches up. Only to be knocked out and consumed by the man, who had
already found plenty of edible foods in the form of berries, but he
could not keep them down due to effects of malaria and
dehydration/starvation. He couldn't keep his "companion" down either.
So, he killed the dog for nothing. The rest of the show I was of course
rooting for him to fail, but with the actual survivor narrating, of
course that wasn't going to happen!

I'm sorry, but there are plenty of people in this world found frozen or
otherwise dead who did not resort to eating other people or pets. But
since this situation has never happened to me, I guess I can't talk.
Frankly I don't think that Animal Planet even cares what garbage they
throw up on the screen anymore. After that, the river rafting show was
the last thing I watched before never turning on Animal Planet again.
It's been almost a month I think. I just can't get it out of my head -
it's one thing to watch something like that on Discovery or whatever,
but Animal Planet it was disgusting, because I sincerely thought there
was no way in hell the man would do it because of the channel it was
on. I was wrong.