From:
Scott Beisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 1996 02:22:22 -0700
I think there was some miscommunication and overreaction on this exchange.
I think that [log in to unmask] really didn't know who he was asking when
he wanted information on how to get a ferret in CA.  CDFA1 gave the
standard response to this frequent request.  I think JCanfi2008 may have
believed CDFA1 didn't give him the info he needed because he didn't want to
participate in the legalization effort.  What he may not have realized is
that the California Domestic Ferret Association CAN'T provide him with that
information because of their agreement with F&G.  Only the CDFA holds a
license to rescue ferrets in CA.  If CDFA gave out this information, it
would only jeopordise this agreement, thereby eliminating licensed rescue
in CA.

I think CDFA1 did "lose it" (her words), and got upset at JCanfi2008's
attitude.  It is very frustrating being on the front lines of legalization
and making some big steps towards that end (i.e. HR 37).  Then a person like
this comes along and says we are not making a difference?  I don't believe
CA freedom fighters are more "rightous" than other CA ferret owners.  We
freedom fighters need every person we can get to help.  But JCanfi2008 said
we are just "backgound noise" and that hurt.  If he didn't want to join the
effort, he should have just said, "thanks for what you have done, but..."

I guess it's like trying to save up enough money to put your kid through
college, and then he drops out of high school.  We are trying to get all CA
ferret owners to stand up to F&G and be counted.  There are at least a 1/4
million, but I realize we just can't motivate them all.  That is why it has
taken this long to get where we are at today, because there are a only a few
dedicated people to stick out thier necks for everybody else.

This may be a bad analogy, but not all marijuana smokers are going to jump
into the legalization effort if a bill to legalize pot was introduced.
But they will still ask how to get it.  I think asking CDFA1 on how to get
a ferret is like asking a friend who is a cop how to get some pot.  He may
indeed know how, but he can't tell you because he has to appear to obey
the law.

In my opinion, a simple reply of, "sorry, I can't provide you with that
information.  You will have to ask somebody else..." may have been more
appropriate.  To attempt to thwart this person's attempt to obtain a ferret
is doing exactly what F&G is doing to everybody else in CA with their ban.
Although he is apathetic, he should still have the right to ask how to get
one.  Just as people who are not registered to vote are entitled to gripe
about the government under the 1st Ammendment.

I see your $.02 and raise you $.02.

~  Support legalization of the Domestic Ferret     ~
~        as a companion pet in California!         ~
~              Visit the Weasel Web at             ~
~ http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/weasel.html  ~
~      Scott Beisner, Webmaster & President        ~
~          Golden State Ferret Society             ~
~   [log in to unmask] <<or>> [log in to unmask]    ~