From:
"Brian K. Dore'" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1992 14:35:28 -0400
  My newest ferret B.G. received a bad bite from my other ferret a few
months ago when they were getting to know each other.  The wound got
infected and swollen.  The swelling went down, and it looked like it
would heal up nicely on its own after 2 days and I decided a visit to
the vet wasn't needed.  The wound is under his chin, and I guess it must
itch at times because he frequently rubs the scab off.  Yesterday I noticed
that the wound didn't seem to be healing up, and when on closer inspection,
noticed that it was filled with a white pus.  Is there any kind of topical
anticeptic or treatment I should try?  He is lively and bouncy, and it
dosen't seem to bother him at all.   I don't want to bring him to the
vet unless I really have to.  (I would have rushed him if he showed any
signs of being weak or sick.)   Are there any generally available antibiotics
or penicillin that I could administer myself?   Or should I bring him in
and let the vet have a look?   Thanks for any advice,

Brian

Brian K. Dore'                 Internet  :   [log in to unmask]
Systems Analyst                U.S. Mail :   PO Box 42770
Computing Center                      Lafayette, LA 70504
University of Southwestern LA  Telephone : (318) 231-6868