From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:59:46 -0500
YES, ferrets CAN get heartworm!  We know from (sad) personal experience
with one of the shelter ferrets who died after she was spayed.  Made it
through the operation OK, but died about 15-20 minutes later.  The necropsy
revealed that her heart had several heartworms in it.  She was a stray who
had been outside for who knows how long, which is probably how she picked
up the heartworms in the first place.  You need to either educate your vet
or find another one who knows more about ferrets.  On another note, we have
been told that Ivomec injectable, given orally, not only kills ear mites
but also heartworm larvae.  I'm not sure about dosage, so talk to your vet.

Kurt & Sara Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot RUnning Round You)
http://www.furryferrets.org

Help raise money for the shelter!  Click on
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=5129