From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 21:26:25 -0400
>From:    zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: zen reluctantly finally enters the nosy questions debate
>
>Not all shelter operators call themselves "Shelter Moms" or "Shelter Dads".
>Some of us understand the differences between children and pets.

Are snide remarks like this really necessary?

>Not all shelter operators are convinced they and they alone can decide who
>is a suitable owner for a ferret.

But most of them are?  I don't understand.  Who then should make that
decision for the shelter?

>We do not believe that folks seeking to adopt a ferret should have to ever
>defend themselves.  Not everyone should be allowed to have pets; we'd never
>place a ferret with someone who wanted it as a feeder animal for a larger
>carnivore for example.

Isn't that a contradiction?  If you don't believe potential adopters should
ever have to defend themselves, how can you say not everyone should be
allowed to have pets?  If you concluded they shouldn't be allowed to have
pets, do you reject them?  Aren't you then, as a shelter operator, deciding
who is suitable?

>Seems that those that complain about the people that try to adopt from them
>and turn down adopters should also not complain that they are overcrowded.

Here we are in complete opposition.  Most shelters are overcrowded because
of irresponsible owners who made an impulse or uninformed decision to
acquire a pet & then decided to get rid of it when it didn't fit perfectly
into their lifestyle.  If shelters are guilty of self-inflicted
overcrowding, it's because they're concerned for the future welfare of a
ferret & don't turn away the sometimes unadoptable neglected or ill.

I will continue to complain about the overabundance of unwanted ferrets.
I didn't create the problem by deeming someone unsuitable & not doing an
adoption.  Just like you, I determine who adopts a ferret I've taken into
my care.

>These opinions do not make us popular with the more zealous set but we
>aren't seeking popularity.  These opinions are ours and should not be lumped
>onto anyone else we are associated with.  Danged disclaimers...

It isn't only the "more zealous,"  & it isn't only your opinions.  It's as
if you're intentionally trying to ruffle feathers w/unnecessary jabs that
have no place in an informative debate.

Your opinions are no less zealous that any other's who take a hard-line
position.  Your knowledge & opinions are as welcome as any others', but not
if they degrade into name-calling.

My opinions are my own.
Juliana Quadrozzi, Foster Mom
GA Domestic Ferret Association