From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:15:03 -0400
>Foods that I have been told are okay:
>* Cucumber
>* Brocolli

Cucumber?  Brocolli?  These are carnivores.  In case you haven't noticed
(does your ferret really eat brocolli?) fruits and veggies tend to give
them the runs.

>Foods that some or many people believe are unsafe:
>* Milk and milk-coated foods (such as milk-coated cat food).

Why?  Where did you hear that?

>* Real bones of any kind (this does not imply toy bones which may be
>safe).

Why?

>* Sugar and foods with sugar on or in them.

<g> A favorite in my house

>* Chocolate -- a definite no-no for all pets.

Chocolate is definitely toxic to dogs.  It's fine occasionally for cats, and
I also give it to my fuzzbutts every once in a while.  How popular I am on
those days!  Small amounts please, because I have not yet heard a definitive
opinion on chocolate toxicity.  I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I
haven't had any trouble (and this in spite of a couple of fantastic thefts
of valentines day goodies).

I asked before, but got no answer, so I'll hound you all again.  What is a
reasonable minimum temperature for outdoor ferrets?  (By this I mean
habituated to cold weather gradually, not plunked outside in midwinter).  I
know 85 to 90 is a good practical maximum, but what are we talking for
minimums?  0 C?  -10 C?  -50 C?

Thanks a bunch,
Catherine Shaffer