From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:40:50 -0700
Hi,

Any and all input is welcomed, thank you.

Beginning mid-August Percy, about 3 1/2 or 4 years old, began losing hair in
the stomach and chest area.  This progressed to his present state: bald
stomach and chest, thinning hair on shoulders, some hair patches lost from
both flanks, underside of tail bald with blackheads.  He's itchy and gets
red patches on his stomach, and has black and red specks here and there.  He
may be urinating a bit more often, and straining a bit, and I once recently
noticed him licking his penis for quite some time after urinating.  His
energy and appetite are good, though he's a bit fat as usual (including
putting on some winter weight) so I can't say if he's any more pear-shaped
than is his norm.

My questions involve diagnosis.  I've contacted a ferret knowledgable vet in
the area, who recommends a skin scraping first, then the Tennesee adrenal
panel, and an ultrasound.  I did have a uninalysis done on Percy and he's on
Bayril for a bladder infection.  I'll get the skin scaping done soon.

WHAT should we look for in the skin scraping?

Some on the FML have mentioned waiting awhile prior to treatment.  WHEN
should we begin tackling this?

The vet said it was difficult to diagnose which adrenal was the problem
during surgery, because the adrenals are fat encrusted.  So she says they do
everything prior to surgery to determine which adrenal is problematic.  They
do go directly into surgery if they can feel an enlarged adrenal.  And they
check the pancreas during surgery.  The Tennesee panel is $125, the
ultrasound $175, surgery about $350, add vet visits, etc.  we're really
getting up there, even prior to surgery, so I need to know if this is the
best approach.

Please send advice on diagnosing and treating adrenal problems, or any
advice or suggestions regarding Percy's symptoms.

Thank you,

Lynn Mc. and the Gang of Eight