From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 12:59:06 EDT
I tend to generate a lot of paper here in the shelter office, from copying
posts from the FML and FHL to printing out confirmations on shipping, etc.
When I was finished with it, the paper got tossed.  "What a waste, " I
figured, "there must be something I can do with it before recycling it."
So when a paper shredder became available at a real discount, I jumped
at it.

Several days later I had an entire basket of shredded paper and an old box
that the paper came in.  I dumped the shreds into the box, added a couple
ferrets and watched the fun.  They rooted around in it and had a few
wrestling matches; generally seeming to enjoy themselves.

I left the box of shredded paper on the floor that night.  Not thinking
any more about it the next morning, I let the "crew" of six large males out
for their morning romp while I went to see if I could find a cup of coffee
(first having to find the kitchen- I don't do well in the mornings).

What couldn't have been more than 2-3 minutes later I returned to the
ferret room.  It had been completely redecorated during my brief absence.
There wasn't a shred of paper left in the box.  It was uniformly scattered
over every square inch of floor, furniture, even the lamp shades (don't
ask).  In the middle were six very happy ferrets, quite pleased at their
decorating.  I think they've been watching "Trading Places" while I've
been at work.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter