From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 16:13:32 -0800
>From:    Vickie LoMonaco <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret color question
>She's basically a sable pattern, but she looks different from my other
>sables.  Her hair is about an inch and a quarter long, about twice as
>long as the others, and her hairs start with a white root, and have a
>deep deep brown tip, but everything in between is bright golden (not
>beige, true gold, brighter than a golden retriever's fur)!

Probably a chocolate.  The tip color is the main color you look for.

The AFA distinguishes between sable and black sable by the undertones.
Sables are warm and black sables are cool.  This sounds like the chocolate
equivalent of the sable while most chocolates I've seen are more equivalent
to the black sable.  This is a weakness in the AFA color naming scheme.
(But its better in my opinion even here than the other schemes.) There
should be a different way to talk about the undertones.

But I am just guessing about Diva since all I have is that text
description...

>From:    Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nursing Ferret Kits
>Do you know where you can get the tubes?  The really tiny ones?  My vet
>gave me two medium sized ones, but I am hoping there are smaller ones.

This gets me back to Ilena's idea... She was asking me about (I'm sure
I'll get it technically wrong) an IV catheter tube.  As i understood its
normally inserted into a vein with a needle inside and then the steel is
removed leaving just the rubber.  This sounds fairly small as rubber tubes
go.

>This is an excellent idea.  We do need to have information available to the
>shelters and rescues that get surrenders with kits - or that get calls for
>help on motherless kits - as well as for breeders.

Well, I'll start adding things to the ferret breeding faq Diane put
together on the request of Pam Greene.  I've said it before and I'll repeat
that if folks have additions please let us know and we'll incorporate them.

It currently lives at

ftp://ftp.zenferret.com/pub/FAQ/

I have no intention of removing it so you can 'bookmark' or link to the
site. I can also make it a bit easier to access if people would like.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets