From:
William H Moger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 09:12:58 -0400
Hi to everyone,
In January I got my first ferret and sometimes she would would bite hard and
draw blood.  The pet store where I got her said to tap her on the nose if
she bit and I also read this in a book I got on ferrets.  This approach to
biting only made her bite harder.  Scruffing her by the neck also made her
let go and then clamp on again only harder.  I was getting very upset that I
could not come up with a solution to the biting, so one day when she bit I
screeched in as loud and high pitched voice as I could and she instantly let
go.  Everytime she bit harder than I would like, I screeched at her.  She
bites gently now and the bites only get a little harder than I would like
when she is getting tired and it is time to go back to her cage.  She has
not drawn blood for quite awhile.

We still have some work to do about bare feet and biting, especially since
the weather is warming up.

I am new to ferrets and I don't know if this would work for all of the
biters or it just happened to work with mine.

Ruth Ann Moger and Fiona Ferret