From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:57:16 EDT
It has been said on the FML before that ferrets can really lift your
spirits.  I specifically remember Mary Sheffeman posting about this.  I
know Shron and others as well as I have also posted about this.  But I
just had to write about this topic again.  Ferrets can really help you
when you are blue or depressed if you let them.

If you are blue, depressed or ill/hurt (with something they can't catch),
lay on the floor passively in a room full of ferrets.  Lay there and
don't move or even look at them.  It's funny, they know something is
wrong when you are not feeling well and seem to gravitate towards you
like little magnets.  Sometimes they climb all over me before my head
even hits the floor they are so curious and concerned.  I lay there, and
I feel their little feet, noses and whiskers all over me.  They dig at
my hair, lick my ears, nibble my feet, and keep me company.  Eventually
they do something that brings out a smile or chuckle under my breath
like climb in my clothes, dook around, lick me, or nudge my hand up for
attention.  This can be a very different experience than when you enter a
room and initiate contact by seeking them out for attention and picking
them up or playing with them.  Often I don't do this on my own when I'm
feeling really bad.  Because when you feel yucky, you feel yucky and too
often we don't always think about doing something to help it.  My husband
is the one who most often tells me to go "be with the ferrets", when
things seem bad, thank goodness.  Likewise, when one of my boys is crying
and I can't seem to make much difference in their situation, I run and
get their ferret and put it in their arms.  They act annoyed at first
because they are miserable and want to wallow in their misery.  But
within seconds, they are looking at the little furry face, hugging their
little friend, and kissing them.  I can't count the number of times the
ferrets lick up their tears.  And I can't tell you what a difference this
makes.

Do ferrets cure depression, or fix a situation that is making you upset?
No.  Not in the least.  But I can say that something ... something
healing and magical does happen.  And you do get offered relief.  Even
if that relief is temporary, it is nonetheless welcome.  :)

So next time you feel bad ... force yourself to lie with ferrets.

Wolfy