Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 05:14:46 -0600
I read a rather oblique reference to ferrets in literature.  It seems Louis
Pergaud tells a story of a polecat, weasel and marten(s) who kill a ferret
named Yellowfur.  Anyone know the story and source?

Regarding posts relating to the death of ferrets, I don't know what to say
without my words being regarded as a flame.  This is certainly NOT a flame.
I am not offended by reading such posts; if I know the person, I will send a
private e-mail.  People have the right to their own beliefs, and asking
someone to share in them is not the same as shoving it down someone's
throat.  Its like puns; if you don't like them, then for heaven's sake don't
read them.  Grief posts usually have a heading or some clue in the first
line to warn the reader.  Scroll past it if you don't like it.

The grief experienced over loosing a pet can be as profound as from losing a
close family member.  However, people feel badly for those who lose
relatives, but turn their backs of those who lose a pet.  They forget that
love is a very powerful emotion, and it doesn't matter what species the
object of that love belongs to; its still powerful, and it is still
difficult to bear.

The FML has a family atmosphere.  We are allowed to bicker, bitch, joke
around, laugh, lecture, and generally share all our ferrety adventures.
Some people have been on the FML so long, and told so many stories about
their ferts that they become part of us--even if only electronically.  We
all share a love of the little furry thieves who poop in any open corner
they can find.  To me, that includes the process of death.  I can't help but
shed tears when I read these posts, and I usually pick up the nearest fuzzy
I can find for consolation.  I never knew Teddy or Racy or Axel or Buddy or
Hobbs or Rocky or dozens of others, but I did know their partners in life
loved them.  And learning how they died has made me a better partner to my
own beloved puddlebutts.  I watch where I step, and check appliances before
closing them.  I spend time with each one daily, and look deep in their eyes
for signs of illness.  I put symptoms on my database to give me clues if any
of my babies become ill.

But mostly, I know the support and help I hand out will be returned to me
ten-fold or more, and when I need it the most.  I have always felt the
problem in America isn't the breakdown of the family; it is the breakdown of
the community.  The support systems provided by church or neighborhoods just
don't exist in many places anymore, and we all suffer.  The FML gives some
of that back, at least in a small part.  Its such a small thing to be
compassionate and scroll past the items you don't like in order to allow a
fellow fuzzy-lover some space as a catharic for their grief.

On another subject, I have sent BIG the list of nicknames to print when he
can find the room.  So many responded, the list is rather long, with nearly
2000 names (I lost count after 1750, but anyone of you are welcome to count
if you like ;-) ), so it may take awhile for BIG to find the room.  I will
send out the certificates this weekend.  If you want the list as a document,
want to make a correction, or just add a new nickname, send me an e-mail.
If you contributed a nickname and want a certificate, send me your address.
While there is no cutoff for the nicknames, there will be for certificates,
so don't delay.

All the above are my opinions only and do not reflect those of the
management or members at large.

Bob C and the Wild One Three