From:
"Sarah R. Buck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:47:57 -0500
In answer to the recent postings about biting and nipping ferrets, we just
adopted one a couple of weeks ago.  Yes, she does chomp, and attacks and
chases the dog as well.  The more love, understanding, and PATIENCE she
gets from us, the better she will be.  It takes a lot of time, so the
experts have told me.  I have small kids, and when Portia nips or bites
them, they cry, but they still hold her and play.  About having small kids
and ferrets: I have taken a lot of time to teach the kids about loving and
caring for an animal.  Your kids will mimic whatever you do with your
animals.  A word of caution: when playing with your ferret, do not use your
hands, but a toy or a rag.  This way, the fuzzy will not associate hands
with play.  I have a 6 yr old fert who does the sniff-sniff-chomp stuff
on my toes ONLY.  Why?  I don't know.  I am just cautious when they are
around.  I do not leave them out.  When they are out, they get nothing but
interaction: love, hugs, play, discipline.  Then I put them up in their tub
(yep, they are in the tub!  it is great for keeping clean- real easy).  I
interact with them at least four or five times a day, for about thirty
minutes a shot.  I know that things will change once school starts, though.
But, by that time they should be very well adjusted (although my 13 yr old,
who LOVES to play with them, will be homeschooled, and he's a ferret
himself).  Biters and nippers TAKE LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE.  Hope this
helps.

Re: another post concerning kids and ferrets: I have 6 children.  We are
around the ferrets and other animals all the time.  Children who are not
familiar with ferrets can be deadly targets for ferrets who are
territorial.  And they do get that way.  Cleo sensed something about the
little neice, that's all.  Is Cleo around kids a lot?  GENERALLY SPEAKING,
if ferrets aren't around kids, and you put them around kids who have not
been around ferrets, then it can be a recipe for disaster.  By the way,
this holds true for other animals as well.

Hugs :0) Sarah
(owned by Portia and Stela and maybe a couple more in the future but don't
tell anybody!!!!)