From:
Rose Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 13:52:43 -0500
>Date:    Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:38:54 -0000
>From:    Judy Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
>said they didn't see a scar so she wasn't fixed.  about ferrets when they go
>into heat.  But my vet was ready to cut my ferret open to fix her when she
>is already fixed.  And on top of it charge me 140.00.  I called MF
>......Judy

Judy anaphylatic shock [allergic reaction], if severe enough, can result in
death if not treated.  You were lucky if this was the case.  However, if you
continue to see blood in the urine, the ferret crying when attemptin g to
urinate, or constant attempts to urinate without results... contact a FERRET
knowledgable veterinarian.  These could be signs of a urinary tract
infection and/or urinary bladder stones.  Only a vet through tests can
determine if you ferret is having these problems.  Personally, with the
"ready to cut my ferret open to fix her when she is already fixed attitude"
of your current vet, I would be searching for a new one who really knows
ferret medicine NOW.

>From:    dave adams <[log in to unmask]>
>So much for that, my question is has anyone heard or readabout a test for
>adrenal tumors using a urine sample. <>please post or e me at...

Yes there is and adrenal test now.  Dr Karen Rosenthal developed it.  Dr
Rosenthal has stated that it is not as accurate as she had hoped it would be
though.  It is relatively expensive and my vets feel if they are quite
certain there is adrenal problem that exploratory is still their first
choice.  Guess it would be a personal choice...spend the money on a test
with dubious results and still need to do exploratory or just spend the
money on exploratory (and probably removal of tumor).

One more thing reference frequent ferret fliers -- how does the ferret get
to the pet store?  thanks again Dave Adams

Most times I believe they are flown in unless procured from a local
breeder/farm/distributor.

>From:    artemis <[log in to unmask]>
>He had all sorts of trouble post surgery...infection..swelling...
>contrictions... It was a nightmare.  I really regretted having the surgery
>done.  this was done in Dec of 1996.  after the bath and within seconds
>there was the scent gland smell again!...

If a piece of the scent gland was left behind, yes, you would still have it
attempting to refill and giving that odor.  Since the ferret had problems
post surgery, perhaps there is an infection.  Have the vet check his
handiwork for possible problems.

>From:    Donna Rulli <[log in to unmask]>
>For some reason, when the kit goes to the bathroom, the litter gets stuck to
>her poop hole, and it bleeds a little when I "unstick" the litter.  I have
>tried putting vaseline on her, but it doesn't seem to work Any suggestions?

Two suggestions here... 1.  try a different litter until the condition is
cleared  2. if her beginning problem is possible prolapse rectum you may
have to feed her a soft diet for a while while it heals.  We have used
Preparation H on prolapse while gently pushing the exposed tissue back in.
Our vet recommends it.  If it is bleeding have you had your vet check it out
yet?

>From:    Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>My ferret has picked up fleas from my dogs who always bring them home from
>the other dogs in the neighborhood. [edited], what can I use? Thanks. Steve

Basically products safe for kittens/ cats should be safe for your ferret.  I
have used Flea Stop and Adams for kittens with good results.  Your vet could
recommend a few other products, I am sure, including something to prevent
this happening again.

Rose Smith
Legion Of Superferrets National
"Where Every Ferret IS Super!"