From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:28:02 -0800
>From:    Darcy and Darci <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Breeding Info

We put together something at the request of Pame Greene.

In browser format...

ftp://ftp.zenferret.com/pub/FAQ

That is anonymous ftp to ftp.zenferret.com

/pub/FAQ/breeding.faq

Its about long due for an update...

We email it upon request.

Feel free to redistribute as long as the content and headers are not
modified.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: castration?
>I was reading a ferret hand book the other day and I saw some that said
>if you castrate your male ferrets they aren't unusually agressive around
>mating season and aren't dominant.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Castration is the normal neutering of a male.  Spay is the normal neuter
of a female.  In ferrets only the testicles are removed in a castration.

Many guys get queesy just thinking about "castration" I guess so they use
the less "graphic" term.

Most pet ferrets are already neutered.  Neutered males are "less"
domineering especially compared to whole hobs in rut but individuals vary.

>From:    Julie Guardino <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colloidal silver
>Does anyone know of the dosage of colloidal silver for the treatment of
>enlarged spleens?

I honestly feel the appropriate dosage is none.

>From:    Purple Cow <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: opinions and questions
>With all this talk of shelters and everyone saying what is wrong and what
>isn't wrong, I just felt like I had to offer my little opinion.  Seems
>like part of the problem with the ferret population in general is the
>overpopulation.

I disagree.  I still strongly feel that there is not an over-population of
ferrets especially when compared to dogs and cats.  Dogs and cats are put
down every day to make way for more in shelters.  Ferrets are not put down
for that reason anywhere.

Most pet stores seem to sell ferrets nearly as fast as they get them.

>If a breeder is in it truely for the love of the animal then it shouldn't
>be a problem.

A large percentage of shelters are run by breeders.  We have no more
trouble placing shelter ferrets than placing kits.  None.

What you say though can be taken as a bit of an insult.  Most breeders DO
care about ferrets in general.  This has been said many times.  Its still
true.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian