From:
Bobbie Daniel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1993 15:17:56 -0400
Re: Show-and-Tell:
  I took Emmett to my stepdaughter's combined-4th/5th grade
classroom last spring for Show-and-Tell, having previously
arranged it with the teacher. She did a little unit on "the
weasel family" before the visit, so the children were ready.
No one had any known allergies, so they all stayed in the room.
  Emmett fought valiantly in the car-carrier the whole two miles
to the school, but once we stopped and he saw his "stepsister"
and the other children, he calmed down.
  First I had him in the carrier for an introductory talk. Then
I clipped his leash on his harness and held him. Next he got to
go for a little walk around the classroom. He was thrilled--a whole
room full of Exciting Things and People Who Were Admiring Him!
  Finally he was allowed to meet the children, who petted him
(from the back) and everybody was happy. He would gladly have
stayed all day, but I had to get him home and go to work.
  It was a great experience--but I wish to advise everyone who
takes a ferret to Show-and-Tell in springime to avoid black
clothes! I had on a black turtleneck sweater and I had no idea
one lone weasel could shed so much hair!
  Kate Pappas and Emmett Kelly Point-3