From:
Todd & Andi Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 13:07:01 -0400
I've been thinking about the possiblity of the FML being posted on rec.pets
- and although I initially thought it was a good idea - I've thought of
some reasons why it might prove to be a bad move:

1) I was considering asking everyone to help convince my parents that the
ferrets don't have to go when Todd & I decide to have children. To help
emphasize my point - I was going to post my father's email address and ask
everyone to help support my arguments - if the FML is on rec.pets I don't
think I'd feel comfortable posting Dad's address. (This one's kind of
selfish, I know but it got me thingking further...)

2)  Even if it did survive a trial period without any flames, nobody can
guarantee it will always be that way. I think that if I posted about a sick
pet, or if I was sharing my grief for a lost pet that I would be heart
broken if I recieved even 1 mean spirited piece of mail! Since everyone
making posts of this kind is probably stressed and/or emotional at the time
- I think that even though you'd know the response wasn't "real", it would
still hurt. Even if responses on the newsgroup are moderated - our email
addresses are present! I don't want to post anon. because I really
appreciate personal responses.

3)  I don't think the FML is hard to find - any true ferret lover is bound
to haunt rec.pets long enough to find out how to subscribe - that's waht I
did!

I would be in support of occassionally (with author's permission) posting
excerpts from the FML that might be of interest to pet lovers in general -
like news on legistation, advances in medicine, shows & frolics, etc.

I think we've got a good thing going here!! If it's not broke - don't fix it!!!

Thanks for hearing me out - its just my opinion. Feel free to agree or argue!
Andi