From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:54:46 -0500
Sukie wrote:
>Warp's vision is slowly depleting and we'll have to try the scent
>approach on things, too.  THANK YOU SO MUCH!  Think I'll try essential
>oils in relation to furniture because might be better for wood than
>alcohol.  Might even assign scents by room for orientation and see if
>that seems to work at all.

Wow, thanks for the thanks!  Essential oils are a great idea - hadn't
thought about the wood and alcohol but it makes sense (our wood is really
dark so it doesn't show up, but it's probably very drying for it).  Might
have to try the oils.  Also your idea for different scents for different
rooms is *very* cool.  Sonic enjoys her nose and would probably love some
new scents to smell!

I forgot to mention before that when I carry Sonic to different rooms, I
have a special spot in each room where I set her down.  She gets less
disoriented that way, if she always finds herself in a consistent place
each time.  :-)

Keep us posted - haven't found many tips out there for blind ferrets who
don't cope very well, and I think this is an area that could be developed
a lot.  Brighter light helped Sonic for a couple of months until her
retinas degenerated past the point where it could help... the idea of
putting lights down low is *wonderful*.

Best wishes,
-Pam S.