From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 1996 16:33:51 -0500
Someone posted about a ferret who was exhibiting remarkable manipulative
behavior to get more play time out of her cage.  I've made an observation
during the breaking in and training periods with both of my fuzzies that
might be of help.  The more time the new one has outside the cage, the
calmer he gets.  I let my boys have the run of the second story of our
apartment, and that works pretty good for us.  Each was highly excitable
when he first came home, then after much time spent out of the cage, each
settled down to a calmer routine (they are still whacko sometimes, though).
I don't see anything wrong with keeping them caged part or most of the time
since they sleep most of the day anyway, but more out-of-cage playtime might
reduce some of the toe nippage.  We started ours in a cage, then increased
their liberty in stages.  We still can't trust Morty not to attack our toes
in our sleep, though.

When our two ferrets wrestle, and it seems too rough, often I will rescue
the underdog (Sebastian).  If he snuggles and wants to be petted, I keep
him.  If he struggles to get out of my arms and go give that Mortimer a
piece of his mind, I let him.  He usually wants to rejoin the fight, even
though he whines like a baby when Mortimer pins him.  I think this is a good
test.

Ferrets aren't sables.  A quick look through my dictionary named Sables as
Mustella zibellina.  Ferrets are Mustela furo, definately not the same
creature.

-Catherine