From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:32:19 -0600
After reading a very graphic & disturbing account of a heart stick gone
bad, a couple of years ago, I want to give you some food for thought.

It seems that these emergencies almost always occur after hours, on a
weekend, or on a holiday.

During these times, your own, wonderful, ferret savvy vet may be out
of town--and this may leave you with one option: an emergency vet.

Many emergency vets are not truly familiar with ferret anatomy--but
they do understand how to administer iso (the gas that puts a ferret
under for surgery.)

The ferret may bat at at the mask, because it does not like the smell
of it, and it may struggle for a moment (just like before surgery.) Or
the ferret may be seizing, or so sick that it is unresponsive, & may
not even appear to notice. Either way, it will very soon be
unconscious, & feel no pain or fear.

When the ferret is deep asleep (like for surgery) it will not feel the
stick--nor will it feel if an inexperienced vet fumbles, & needs to try
again. It is completely out, just as for surgery. (Whether the vet does
an abdominal injection OR a heart stick, the ferret will not experience
pain or fear.)

I have never ever allowed one of our babies out of my sight when it
was put to sleep. EVER EVER EVER... I have sat in on more surgeries,
euthanasias, & post mortems than any of you could possibly imagine.
Quick is one thing. Merciful is another.

A night that will forever stand out in my mind was the night that
Chance was crying with every breath. Our vet (my mentor) was out of
town. The vet on call who was very honest (and very pale!) admitted to
me that he had never put a ferret to sleep before. He was willing to
help, but it was obvious that he was scared to death. I knew he`d never
find a vein--and I didn`t want him sticking a needle into Chance`s
stomach either!!! I remember looking him straight in the eyes & saying
"Can you administer Iso?" He told me he could. I said "Please DO that.
Let`s get him out of pain, & we`ll walk through the rest together." And
we did... That vet was very caring & compassionate. I will never forget
him. Chance was deep asleep & out of pain, under the anesthetic. Safe.
He never knew that the poor vet had to try three times.

An emergency vet, or the vet on call is certainly not our first
choice--but sometimes it`s our ONLY choice. We do recommend masking
them down first, unless your vet is VERY experienced. Maybe even
then...

Love,
Zoo