From:
Chris Heath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:16:13 -0400
I posted anonymously two days ago, asking everyone to cross fingers for San
Antonio.  Well, it worked, and the City Council passed a resolution removing
ferrets from the prohibited species list!  It was a terrific debate, with
both sides having several speakers.  Those who spoke against the ferrets
included Rachel Zepeda, of Voice for Animals; and Donald Barnes, from the
Anti-Vivisection League.  We who spoke for the ferrets were George Saenz,
President of the San Antonio Ferret Enthusiasts; Rebecca Chavez, Editor of
the Fuzzy Forum, the SAFE newsletter; me, (Chris Heath); and Mary Beth
Duerler, President of the Responsible Pet Owner's Alliance.  We also
received a great deal of support from City Councilman Bob Ross in District
7, and Dr. Ned Lammers, DVM, who is the Director of San Antonio Animal
Control.

It is a huge relief to know that no one will come and take our fur babies
away now.  All of you have been a tremendous help just by sending ferret
information to the mailing list.  A lot of the arguments which I used in my
speech were learned directly from the FML and other recommended sites in
cyberspace.

Now, everyone cross fingers for California!  And Fort Worth!  And Hawaii!....

We can all do the Weasel War Dance with crossed fingers--and toes, if we
practice!