From:
Darla Berg-Karagas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:56:57 -0800
Hello, I am new to the FML and am learning more everyday.  I started out
with 1 ferret 1 1/2 years ago.  That would be Spike.  Since then, I got
Emma, Simon, and most recently from a local animal shelter I rescued Zach
and Mallory.  I'm trying to make their lives as happy as I can so I
search everyday on the Internet to learn everything I can.

My first question, if anyone can help, is where can I purchase floor mats
for their cages.  I saw some handmade floor mats with ties on the side of
them at a ferret show I went to in the Chicago Area but didn't think to
get any business cards.  I'm kicking myself now.  Anyone out there make
these or know anyone that does?

Second thing.  Right now my fuzzies are in 2 attached cages in an
upstairs bedroom.  I can't let them run the house, it's way too big and
I'd never find them back.  Anyway, I was thinking about moving their
cages into my basement and creating a big play area down there.  That way
they could go in and out of their cages as they please and have plenty of
room to run around an play also.  I'm concerned about the temperature.
Would it be too cold to put them in my basement and have them running
around on the cement floor?  The basement is nice and cool in the summer
but it gets cold in Chicago in the Winter and pretty chilly down there.
There are heat vents but I don't know if that would make it warm enough.
I'm thinking the coldest it gets down there is probably 55-60.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't want my babies catching a
cold!!