From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:28:09 -0400
Alexandra-

As I was reading your post today, I was saying to myself--"Why doesn't
she use the water in the watering can?"

And you did.  That makes you a GOOD ferret mommy.  Think of what you
COULD have done.  And what some people do....

You could have stepped on Switch.  You could have STOMPED on Switch.

You could have kicked her across the room.

Instead, you gave her a valuable lesson.  That sometimes unacceptable
behavior gets a response that is unpleasant.

She'll get over being wet.

She'll get over being mad.

Maybe she'll even learn to back off on the lick-lick-CHOMP a little.

Of course, don't hold you're breath on that last one! ;-)

I was so PROUD of my daughter when she was about 12 years old.  We had
adopted a deaf DEW who had been abused because "she didn't listen." Well,
DUH!, she was deaf.  She picked Modesty up just as another of our ferrets
startled her by leaping on her back.  Because Modesty was still new to
our business, and didn't completely trust us yet, she bit Michelle HARD.
I mean blood was running down her hand.  She held onto Modesty and called
for help.  I pried her off, getting slashed in the process myself.  But,
she didn't drop Modesty, and she didn't hit Modesty, and she didn't throw
her across the room.  After she was detached, I scruffed her for about 10
seconds, and then cuddled her.

She has since become a very sweet and loving ferret, and now only play
nips gently.

Melodyt and the elven eight