From:
Rob McNish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:39:41 -0400
Dear Bob and Everybody,

I would also like to know about housing hobs together.  You see, two of my
hobs, Apollo and Boots, are best buddies.  They both endured their first
rut this year and I separated them early.  But even during their season I
noticed that they would immediately go to the others cage when I let them
out.  Not for hissing and cage biting and territorial stuff like my other
hobs, mind you, but to sniff and paw and look longingly at their friend.
After the season I tried letting them out together and, low and behold, they
are still the best of friends.  Of course Boots is now half again as big as
Apollo, so 'pollo (who used to be the bigger) gets the worst of the play
battles.  I put some bitter apple on his neck to keep the biting down, but
it is definitly play time for them, not fighting.  And when they are done,
they choose one cage and cuddle up together and go to sleep.  I've kept
separating them just to be careful, but they do seem to love each others
company.

So I echo the question: can hobs be safely housed together during the rest
of the year?

Rob McNish and the Gang at McFerret Acres