From:
eri garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:36:02 -0600
I asked this on some of my groups before, but no one ever responded,
aside from "I have my vet do it", etc.

I need to start doing Indy's blood sugar test myself -- the vet charges
$20 every time he does it. I have a monitor, the strips, everything
(I'm diabetic, and have an extra monitor designated for ferts). I have
simply been unable to get a sample successfully.

I really need some help here, folks. I KNOW I'm not the only one with
an insulinomic ferret.

Here is how I try to do it:

FIRST thing -- I put Ferretone on his tummy, put the test strip in the
monitor, etc.
1. swab the foot pad with alcohol
2. put a little Vaseline on the foot pad
3. Use the lancet to draw a blood sample
4. touch the sample to the strip

My problem is that I can't get a big enough sample. If I squeeze his
toe to get a bigger drop, he goes nuts on me. If I try to get a second
sample, he goes nuts.

I'm disabled & just can't hold him very well as it is. Trying to hold
him, keep him from struggling too much, play around with the test
strip & monitor & lancet, and get the sample to the strip is nearly
impossible.'

Help!

--
/\_/\