From:
Jacqueline Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:43:20 -0600
Megan asked, "Has anyone ever had a problem with the mouse injuring the
ferret?  Are there any bizarre diseases that can be passed from a mouse
deemed snake food to a ferret (vaccinated, of course)?"

I don't know about mice, but when Lily was bitten on the toe by one of our
pet rats when she managed to get up on their cage, it took weeks for her
toe to heal, even though she received several kinds of anitbiotics.  I
think many of the lab/pet/feeder rat bacteria have become highly drug
resistant, and rats have very 'dirty' mouths (like humans).  Quite a few of
these rats suffer from a disease similar to tuberculosis--we couldn't find
out for sure whether ferrets can be infected by that organism, but it is
very hard to treat in rats.