Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:20:24 -0500
It was brought to my attention that Bill had solicited comments regarding
FHL/FML cross-posts.  The person who brought it to my attention suggested
I comment since some of my posts are those which are forwarded (in all
their objectionable length and density).

If I didn't think cross-posting was appropriate, I wouldn't have consented
to the request.  True, some people are on both lists, some people are not
interested, and some of the posts may seem lengthy, information dense, or
unrelated to your needs, but that in no way changes their interest or
effectiveness to OTHER people on the list.  A cross-post on ferret
medication, drugs or even skeletal structure may be repetitious or boring
to any one particular member, but that isn't any different than other
members reading yet another story about how cute their ferret was when
swimming in the bathtub, or stealing a sock and hiding it in a boot.  One
person's poison is another person's delight, right?  So who is any one
person to dictate to the others on the list what is worthwhile?  Doesn't
the ability of a few to remove the FHL cross-posts also jeopardize your
ability to post poorly constructed poetry?  Besides, Bill places the posts
at the end of the FML, so skip them if you are not interested and allow
the people who ARE interested to read them in peace.

I have always supported the FML, and even though I am no longer an active
member, my loyalty remains.  My absence as an active member in no way
diminishes my desire to see the FML continue to bring good information to
ferret owners.  Perhaps those people complaining of the cross-posts should
take a poll to see how popular their own posts are!  Yet I would be the
FIRST person to suggest they have the right to be here and the right to
post anything they desire, within the FML guidelines.  Nonetheless, I,
for one, would be more than willing to have Sukie pull my posts from
consideration for cross-posting should FHL membership request it.

Bob C