From:
dfrazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:14:16 -0500
Hi Everyone...

We have had a Blessed Event here at the MMOMM shelter..  Natasha, our Jill,
has given birth, Sunday 3/9/98, to 9 strong and healthy babies..  She was
so neat and clean about the whole affair she didn't even get spots on her
favorite blankie from her God Mother, Margie..  A wonderful soft plaid
flannel sheet [1/4th of it anyhow :)] These babies are our very first from
a healthy strong bloodline and unrelated to the shelter activities..  they
are of German/US stock..  we have now a Hob from Canada to add to this
blood line in good time..  and are very much hoping for a Jill from NZ soon
as well..  Our nine little babies maybe just a drop in the bucket in the
effort to reduce the ferret farm sales and thereby exert some sort of
control over their practices..  but the ocean is made up of a whole bunch
of little drops..  and by very selective joining of very strong and healthy
and resistant and long lived bloodlines we hope to contribute, however
slightly, to the improvement of the American Domestic Ferret.  The Jill
from NZ also has Welsh in her blood line.  Eventually we hope to add the
Swedish bloodline to this genetic 'stew' as they are large and hardy
ferrets.  For those interested in our little 'maternity/kit' reports I will
try to post a regular 'update'..  for those not interested..  scroll on
by..  and thank you for joining us this time in the first announcement of
our great Joy!

Mom is fine and has started her 2 oz. of ensure plus today.. extra calories
and calcium as well..  kits are fine and fat.  only 8 faucets so mom is
handling her multitasking very well :)  she got her exercise this morning
by dragging me into the nest box for 15 minutes or so..  determined little
thing :)  she is eating fine and drinking well..  and litter box products
are acceptable [yuk] no more bleeding at all..  and seems to be getting fat
with milk ..  kits quiet unless she goes away from them for a potty stop or
something.. then they are LOUD in their protests..   :)

so far so good everyone..  :)  only eight weeks to go..  this is veeeery
rough on the Grand Ferret here ya know... <ggg>

soooo.. there you have it.. the 'live update' from us here at MMOMM..

Our very great thanks to Dr. Bell for some enclosure design ideas that are
wonderful for a lactating Jill!  And to Meg Carpenter for her advice long
before we began this adventure!!!

dayna and the woozles of the MMOMM rescue/shelter