From:
Derek & Amy Flemming - Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 01:18:43 -0400
Bill K. - I agree with Kylie's post as well on the breeding subject.  The
key to breeding is knowing the animal, no matter what species it is, and
all the risks involved in owning and breeding that animal.  You should also
be aware of the social status of the animal, etc.  Aks yourself if you
*need* to be breeding the animals.

Kylie wrote:
>It is not advisable to breed jill until they are fully physically mature.
>Two years is recommended as the earliest.

Bill K responded:
>Most breeders around here use one year as the fully mature age.

I can understand why Kylie would get a two year old start date.  As having
owned Aussie ferrets (and other imports - NZ in particular), they *do*
mature later - mentally more than physically (but physically, too).  When
breeding my ferrets I often will wait until I feel my jills are mentally
ready to handle motherhood . . . .

Kylie wrote:
>Amy posted a great response in the ferret forum to my questions on how she
>copes with the hazards of breeding she lists in her post.  Maybe she could
>post something similar here?

Sure!

We manage knowing that those are the risks and trying to avoid them.  Some
you can't so we monitor our ferrets and try to catch a problem as early as
possible.

>Have you managed to avoid major health problems?

For the most part.  We have had jills with boarderline mastitis, a few with
vaginal infections (not when pregnant), and some with no or lost milk.  We
have had a few ignore their kits and a few eat them.  No major problems
like loss of the jill, absorbtions, malformations, breaches, c-sections,
etc.  We have been quite lucky.  Very lucky.  I know some hobby breeders
smaller than myself that have had ever problem in the book!

>Or do you just try not to get too close to your breeding jills in case the
>worst happens?

Of course I get close to my girls!  My girls are my favorites.  I get very
close to all my ferrets - how could I not.  I just understand the risks and
breed my girls when they are in top notch shape and are healthy.  I will
always try to save a jill - I will put her life first above her kits.  Some
folks think the hobs are the best part of your breeding program - I think
it is my girls.

I'd be interested in hearing how other breeders cope with the risks of
breeding . . .

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"