From:
Aarrow-Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:31:54 -0500
Ok, Pest R. Dudle is gone and my cage is empty. I knew this event would
happen at some point but was not particularly ready for it, but things
happen. I have had enough ferrets for enough years that I have become
well aware of behavior that indicates specific events. I knew for sure
when Byte-me passed and also with Pester. It was obvious. Pester passed
about the same instant I got out of bed, she was still warm when I
found her in the cage. But was gone, no movement.

So I did what I had to do and introduced Pest R. Dudle to the business
in the back yard, another one of a dozen or so that visited with me.

Contractors were here all day doing work but when they were done I
went to a store where I got Byte-me and Nibble-ed. They did not have
any ferrets and were not to have any for days. I went to several other
stores that did not have any and some said it would be three months
before they could get any. By chance while driving in the West End of
Richmond I remember seeing a new pet store via the internet way out on
Stapels Mill road. I was not far but short on time, but I decided to go
there anyway. I did and they did sell ferrets but like all the others
they were 'dry'. But the clerk told me a person was delivering some
animals that day and was on his way right then, and he had a ferret!
Wow !

So I waited and sure enough had had one ferret, a kit. She was
beautiful. We got to talking and he said his other store in Short Pump
had two more, both males. I wanted a male anyway so after filling out
all the papers I followed him to that other (new) store. Yup! There
were two magnificent kits curled up in there. I held them both and
decided to take the dark one. I named him Jeep. Don't know why, haven't
had him long enough to learn his traits to give him a name for that but
for now I will call him Jeep. With ferrets we do have some room in the
name game.

Jeep was born the week of Dec 11, a Marshal Farms kit, neutered and
full of the start shots. I snatched the little critter up, stuffed it
into my pet carrier and like a foot ball I kicked the thing into the
trunk of the car next to the hole in the floor. Ha! No, he sat on the
passenger seat next to me so he could watch what I was doing. A
dangerous move where I could wake up to find my car gone with Jeep off
to St. Louis or something. So now he is in his cage and will stay there
several days getting acclimated to that so he knows that is 'his' cage.
Jeep is a very friendly fuzz butt and comes to the cage side every time
I come into the room. I stop and pick him up every time so he will get
accustomed to me and being held This seems to be working out very well.

So I am not ferretless. People from all over the world that read the
FML have sent me some fine comments and I am very grateful for those
kind words. Have responded to all with a pic of Jeep. The first of
many I will have over the coming years.

And yes, I normally take in rescues and would have done that this time
in a blink of an eye but I wanted a kit where I haven't had one for
more than a decade. Got one !

Gordon and Jeep

_12-2Addy CEO