From:
DRhoads2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:49:52 -0000
This is my first time posting on th FML but here goes.  I recently built a
home made cage for the little one as my wife was going out in the work
force and their free roam days were over.  I built a 2' by 4' four floor
cage similiar to the castle and such you see pictures of in Modern Ferret
for about $100.00 give or take.

The materials for the cage were bought at Lowes building supply which has a
2" by 1" wire (hole size) there very similar to the wire ferret cages are
built only a slighly smaller gauge and a 1/2" by 1/2" (hole size) for the
floor which is then covered with linoleum.  The whole cage is put together
with small cable ties also bought at Lowes.  I have been using it for about
4 months now and the little ones seem to like it although they would much
rather be out all the time but they get their time in the evenings.

Tools I used were a regular pair of plies, cutting pliers to cut the wire,
and a file to file the sharp points of cut wire

I am sure that if you don't have a Lowes, there is some sort of home
building supply that would carry all the supplies.  I did not work from a
set of plans but sort of winged it but I could assist any one with
suggested hekp from here.

My mother who is not really to mechanically inclined built her's from
smaller cages bought separately and fitted together to form a larger cage
all held together with small cable ties.

Hope this is a help

Dennis
The Terror Ten

PS When you cut those cable ties loose ends, make sure they are even or
they will leave sharp edges that scratch.