From:
D CHRISTEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 18:22:19 -0500
Hi Everyone
I am not all that learned in the world of ferrets, but i have learned
alot from them while i have had them in my care.  After losing Athena,
to shelter shock?

Now i am faced once again w/losing one of my old fellows, Odysseus.  I
requested @ suggestion, blood tests, requiring a lot of blood drawn, so
back to the vets again for Odie.  His Dr. called and spoke w/my husband
today, Odie has insulinoma and also chronic renal failure.

His story, Odie and Samson came to me the week after i lost Athena, i got
a call from the local Humane Society asking if i would be interested in
taking 2 older ferrets.  I am guessing that they were told they were both
about 7-8 years old at the time.  Odie was a little old fellow, and has
always been a little fragile, but he was also very patient w/me.  Samson
was stressed so much by the changes he was going through, to bite so hard
that i could have donated to the blood center.  One year later, my Samson
is giving me kisses, the best a ferret mommy could ask for.  Odysseus has
had surgery for bloat last summer, and now after losing use of his hind
quarters, and at the suggestion of a fellow ferret careperson, i requested
that the vets do blood tests, for insulinoma and what ever these tests
would provide for answers to Odies predicament.  The vet actually didn't
think he would make it through the weekend, but he gained 7 ounces in 3
days!  The test results are back today, my Odysseus HAS insulinoma, but
he ALSO has chronic renal failure.  He is so fragile that he is not a
candidate for surgery, but is on pred/ for the insulinoma and also given
baytril for a poss infection.  I have taken him to bed w/me last night,
so i can keep a watchful eye on him, every time he stirred i would wake,
offering a drink from a saucer during the night.

I guess, i am just babbling, right now...being confused, emotional, and
heartbroken.  I just had to share a bit of Odysseus's story w/u all.  It
upsets me when people can just have animals and say dump them off because
they find some feeble excuse besides saying that they do not want to care
for them anymore.  GRRRR.  I love my Odysseus, whether or not i have had
him since baby, or adult.  Please just keep him in your prayers tonight.  I
am now sharing a home w/25 ferrets, 3 dogs, 3 cats and a few other animals.
Most of these fuzzies came to me from other homes, 2 last 2 girls we just
got a few days ago, and i am concerned for them also, i do not want to
experience the shelter shock syndrome that i had gone through w/Athena.
WE now have Lily and Poppy, who have attached themselves to my husband,
as apparently their previous bonded hooman was a male, but as long as they
are willing to give him kisses, that is good enough for me...one day at a
time, for the new girls...i have some rambunctious young boys.

Sorry for such a long post, i tried to phone my ferret mamma friend in
Louisiana, but she is not home, so i had to talk to someone who would
understand what i am going through.

Hugs to you and your fuzzies,
prayers for all who have fuzzies that are ill

David?  my heart goes out to you in your losses....i am struggling w/one @
a time

Please just keep my Odysseus in your prayers w/all others tonight.
Sincerely
Bandit, Zeus, Jalepeno, Crimson, Clover, Hera, (Athena), Samson, Odysseus,
Sadie, Jasmine, Fenris, Frey, Aphrael, Flute, Theodore Edward Bear,
Blossom, Freya, Puma, Frack, Prometheus, Romulus, Remus, Epimetheus, Lily,
Poppy, mommy and daddy