From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:39:13 -0500
>RE:  European Research
>I've researched Europeans.  They are pretty much just like us: body, two
>arms, two legs, one head, three eyes, but otherwise, just like us.  This
>study was funded by a $485 million dollar grant by the U. S. Govenmental
>labs for European Research.

LOL!  (Steve coughed up his coke laughing when I told him about your
vacuum comment.)

Hey, it hit me the other day and your joke reminds me to ask.  One of the
very best people for natural history research on ferrets is a professor
in France.  I don't speak French or pretty much any other language except
English which is strongly my loss.  Anyway, I would just LOVE it if some
folks who do read French would read some of his ferret research and let
the rest of us know what he says.  That would just be so COOL!  PLEASE,
PLEASE!  PRETTY PLEASE WITH CHERRIES ON TOP?

Here are the first few things that came up in a search of his name on
google.com (where there are four entire pages on Google of his articles,
speeches, etc.  and I'll bet there are ones it missed):

1. International congress BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT
   ...Abstracts must be submitted to Professor Thierry Lode (Universite
   of Angers)
2. References on Mustelid biology
   ... Bibliography Some References on Mustelids and Viverrids
   catalogued by Thierry LODE. [log in to unmask]
   Laboratoire d'Ecologie Animale.
   ...sciences.univ-angers.fr/ecologie/ BibliographyMustelid.html...
   [ More results from sciences.univ-angers.fr ]

3. Waterfrog Researcher
   ... Address, E-mail and phone. LODE Thierry Animal Ecology UFR
   Sciences University of Angers ANGERS 49045 France,
   ...evolution.genetics.washington.edu/ PBhtmls/people/lode.html

4.  WIP
    ... Gustavo Llorente, [log in to unmask], Allozymes, mtDNA,
    PG-system.
    LODE Thierry, [log in to unmask],
    Adaptive value, behaviour,. ...
    evolution.genetics.washington.edu/PBhtmls/people.html...
    [ More results from evolution.genetics.washington.edu ]

5.  Laboratoire: Ecologie animale -
    ... 02.41.73.52.30 (T. LODE) 02.41.73.53.79 (JP CORMIER)
    Fax 02.41.73.53.52 E-mail: Thierry LODE Jean-Paul CORMIER,
    ... En direct. r esponsable : Thierry LODE, ...
    www.univ-angers.fr/laboratoire.asp?ID=36&langue=1

Two of his articles are in Pubmed:
1. Mating system and genetic variance in a polygynous mustelid, the
   European polecat.
   Genes Genet Syst. 2001 Aug;76(4):221-7.
   PMID: 11732630 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
2: Genetic heterozygosity in polecat Mustela putorius populations from
   western France.
   Hereditas. 1998;129(3):259-61.
   PMID: 10319721 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I am sure that there are other interesting articles and other interesting
authors to be found in his bibliographies whom I am missing due to my
lack of other languages: French, Spanish, Italian, German, Swedish,
Danish, Dutch etc.  I only get to see some of the articles that get
translated so as a result I miss too much great work, and do many
(most?) of us here.

Not all that long back Marie mentioned in Ferret-genetics about his work
that involved possible ferrets on the Barbary Coast and I first thought
about asking then, but forgot and now Todd has me jumping on it before I
forget again.

[P.S.]
arrgghh

I COULD have mentioned that prof's name, couldn't I?  It's Thierry Lode.
The articles that are in French or other non-English languages that i
don't have are beyond me, but I think it could be fun if folks here who
have those languages could share such info with all of us when they have
a chance.  Although many articles get translated, there still is a whole
world of research of which many of us are unaware, and many of those
articles are from the best folks possible, so I know that we could all
benefit if this is feasible for anyone to do now and then.

Oh, he lists an incredible bibliography on his website:
http://sciences.univ-angers.fr/ecologie/RefMustelidneo.html

Enjoy!