From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 20:34:11 -0400
to:         Pat Ball <>
Subject:      Research

Unprofessional studies done by ferret groups have turned up no rhyme or
reason for insulinoma or lymphos - i.e. - we don't know what causes them to
grow in the first place or why some ferrets get them and others don't.

Now, as for adrenals, I have it on good authority that they are regarded as a
genetic disorder, magnified by close family line backgrounds - NOT due to
early spay/neuter as was once reported in the medical journals.

Adrenals can be avoided by researching your ferret's background if you are
buying from a private breeder.  As to convience ferrets, which are in most pet
shops, you can not know what background you will be receiving, but keep it in
mind that this problem exists with most "farm" ferrets and backyard breeders.
shelter ferrets which are of the pet shop origins pose the same risk.  BUT NOT
ALL FERRETS FROM PET SHOPS WILL GET ADRENALS, so don't worry for naught!
Adrenals are controllable if caught at the right time and by a good vet.

Pam and her Pet Pals