From:
tootsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:47:53 -0500
I have a marshalls male ferret that I had to rush to my vet tonight for
fear of a urinary blockage.  Originally he was my stepdaughters as are 2
others, but she was irresponsible and was not going to get them when she
moved out.  He is adopted, not sure of his age, has an enlarged prostate,
has been on Lupron 3 months (due for 4th shot tomorrow), has a urinary
tract infection which he is being treated for (5 days now).

My vet just called to tell me that he is not blocked due to his UTI, but
rather due to his prostate.  She drained his prostate and we will go into
more detailed options tomorrow on what to do.

He, "Nickel", is still bald and has not grown any hair in and I fear
Lupron is not helping him.  My vet suggested having his prostate surgery?
She said she was not comfortable doing this and suggested I try another
vet and gave me a couple names.  She also gave me options such as
draining the prostate periodically or making a marsupial pouch (which she
thought was not a great idea due to a possiblity of a lot of infections).

I had asked about adrenal surgery and that is what brought all this on
and of course the possiblity of cancer.

Has anyone had this problem before and what vet have you used?  and with
what outcome?

Thanks for any help.
Eleanor