From:
Chris Perth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 03:05:15 -0500
Hi everyone,
hope you re all ok, sharks and humans.  :-)

Now, Leeloo had this rat tail before, and I did what was suggested by
friends that had ferrets longer than I (and what I d always read on the
net and books and even passed on to other folks how rat tail is ferret-acne
and not dangerous and so on ), washing the tail with some acne-stuff

Now I just heard some folks use Ivermectin on the tail as well as on the
ears, and that it is thought that the rat tail is NOT black-heads but
rather something related to EAR MITES!  Can that really be?

When I adopted Logan & Leeloo their fur was all missing parts (scabby
which I took to be bite wounds from some more aggressive ferts at the
shelter, where they all ran free together I did watch them attack one
another till they screamed bloody murder and got rescued, but didn t see
them draw any blood), and they were pretty dirty too, especially the ears.
Now they look quite different, not only because of fur-color change but
under fur grew and it s all thick and healthier.  I also trim the nails
and clean the ears every other week or try to, cause Leeloo just hates
anything near her ears so it s always a battle!

What comes out of her and Logan s ears is of orange / brownish color, and
I thought a sign of ear mites would mean the wax would come out black,
which hasn t happened so far.  And Logan is the one who itches his ears
sometimes, but not too much.  Can it be they have ear mites and not have
the blackish wax?  How about their tail?  Can they have mites on the tail
only?

I m thinking of getting some Ivermectin and trying on Leeloo s tail
(which did get almost completely normal with the acne stuff) Would it
be ok to put a drop on their ears just as precaution?

Heard Ivermectin can be dangerous in higher doses but I was thinking of a
dosage of not more than 0.2mg/kg hopefully I can find the stuff easily
here!

Anyone here has treated tails with Ivermectin?  How did it work out?

And ear mites!  Anyone found the ferret to have it when the wax wasn t
black and he/she wasn t itching the ear much?  I m afraid if one has it
already it might pass to the other, and afraid of ear infection too! :- O

Oh and I still haven t found out if the dog-shots (cocktail) the ferrets
get here are enough to protect them from Rabies and Distemper anyone know
about that?!!  Would it be better to import only the ferret Distemper and
the Rabies shots separate?!

Thanks once again for all the help!!!  :-D
Big hug to you all,
Chris, Logan & Leeloo (why you keep starin at my tail?!  And leave my
ears alone!)