From:
Vickie McKimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:09:04 -0700
This issue has been blown out of proportions again - as usual.  This is not
from one individual, it has support from the board.

The only requirements for AFA sanctioned shows is rabies and distemper
vaccinations with vaccines USDA approved for use in ferrets.

AFA is working on some sort of policy in regards to ADV.  It is not
feasible for everyone to be testing their ferrets for ADV before shows.
For rabies and distemper we have vaccines and as long as the ferret is
vaccinated within certain dates, then we know they are protected.  There
is no vaccine for ADV.  The test for ADV is only as good as the moment the
test is done.

We are asking that people in the ferret community who have or have had
known positive ADV ferret in their care to provide ADV test results taken
prior to the show.  This was developed by folks in the ferret community who
do have positive ADV ferrets in their care.  Most breeders and shelters
have been testing as any responsible breeder or shelter should.

Right now, this policy is for AFA hosted and sanctioned shows.  This policy
will evolve as more information is gathered through research.  We still
believe there is a very low risk of spreading ADV at shows, as long as
information is provided to everyone on precautions that should be taken.
It is up to the individual organization hosting the show to decide what
precautions they want to have concerning ADV.  AFA shows will continue to
use the judging carriers which seem to be one of the best way to minimize
exposure to anything at shows.

Vickie McKimmey
AFA President
AFA Shows & Special Events Director