From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:32:05 -0600
Hi All,

As you may or may not know, I had a Hoover Steam Vac without the brushes on
it.  I couldn't resist upgrading to the one with brushes and I love it!!

It is so much easier to clean with, you don't have to make as many passes
and as a bonus, it has a longer cord.

On various litter products, I have used alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow), Pine
fresh pellets, wood stove pellets and am currently using Good News.

I did have trouble with the ferts using the alfalfa pellets, too large I
think.  They did ok with the Pine Fresh and wood stove pellets, but one of
my cats didn't like the wood stove pellets, still too big for him I think.
Since I switched to the Good News my hit rate has gone up and all the cats
seem to like it.

I don't use clay litter.  My ex was very allergic, to almost everything
including dust, and I went through the house when we discovered this and
washed everything, including the walls.  Well, the sponge would come off
grey from the walls, clay colored grey.  I hadn't realized how much dust it
let into the house.  And we filled and changed the boxes outside!!

Yes, I do use air filters also.  I have 2, both with true hepa filtration.
And yes folks, it does make a difference.  I do have one that has an ionizer
but be aware you shouldn't run those too much.  They can create ozone if you
do.

And if you want some scent but don't want to or can't use air freshners
(like me), check into some alternatives.  There is a pump spray made from
citrus that really lasts and is wonderful.  Also, check out some
aromatherapy products.  I have an atomizer (basically a glass tube hooked up
to an aquarium pump) that you can hook up to a bottle of essential oil.  It
will spray a very fine mist out into the room.  It is subtle and wonderful.
You can change the mood with the scents.  Ylang Ylang/Cedar is a good
cleansing scent and Lavender is disenfectant.  A nice mix I use is Tuber
Rose and Lavender.  I mix up my own in an empty bottle.  Or you can use a
candle potpourri burner for the same effect, just more limited.

BTW, I got the atomizer at a health food store in Houston, Whole Foods.  You
can probably find them just about everywhere nowadays.

Maggie in Mid Mo with the Marvelous Mustelid Mob