From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:21:29 -0400
>From:    Kate Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: MF ferrets....
>
>Most of the time when a pet store tells you good things about MF ferrets
>the reason is because they sell Mf ferrets and want you to buy them.

Could be.  Pet stores have told us much good about Marshall while knowing
their chances of selling to us were nil.

>In my life I have never heard a vet do so.

We have.

>The reason is because MF ferrets are very inbred meaning the risk for
>many diseases runs higher in them.

Nope.  In breeding does not make the risk of diseases higher.  It makes
the risk of birth defects more possible.

It is a good thing then that Marshall farms has an elaborate scheme to
prevent in breeding.  Despite how often you might read otherwiseon the
internet.

>Many times MF ferrets die at younger ages because of that.

That is unproven.  Anecdotally it doesn't wash in many cases.

>And about the whole selling them for reaserch thing, many people don't
>seem to quite understand that.

You seem to have some misunderstandings as well.

>Some cosmetic companies still test on animals, medical companies,
>and other things along those lines.

We have never heard of any cosmetic tests on ferrets.  Rabbits are
cheaper so get used for that particular governmentally required role.

But people's health is awfully important and should not be brushed aside
so quickly.  Medical tests using ferrets that improve human care does
eventually help ferrets as well.  Millions of peoples lives are helped by
thousands of ferrets.  For that we are greateful to ferrets.

>As you can tell, I am probably the most anti-MF person that you are ever
>going to meet.

We can tell.  Your prejudice is obvious.

>I buy and suggest Path Valley Farms.  There ferret food is also great.
>You can go to www.pathvalley farm.com for more information on this
>great breeder.

The only issue where Path Valley and Marshall seem to differ is testing
Marshall donates animals for testing to help all the ferrets they sell.
Marshall sells ferrets to labs to use.

Path Valley has not done much to help with fighting diseases in ferrets
that we know of.

Both are large scale ranches with all the negatives that come with that.

Both have the same level of inbreeding; though on numbers Marshall has
enough that they can make inbreeding less common than Path Valley can

>P.S.- MF sells ferrets for fur.  Enough Said.

Not enough said because what you just said is incorrect.  Marshall does
not sell to the fur market.

We have a REAL big problem with Marshal Farms though.  It relates to
business practices and a lack of loyalty to friends.

There are plenty of other issues but they were not touched in the message
to which we responded.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com