From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:06:21 -0500
A public THANK YOU to Troy Lynn Eckart for her Ferrets.com article
about FACT! You can read it at this link:

<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets-magazine/shelter-rescue/ferret-association-of-connecticut-inc-0911.aspx>

Sorry Troy, just saw it today, even though it was published the 1st
of November!

You did a super job of capturing the essence of FACT. BUT, just for
the record, we really work very hard NOT to let Vanessa have a life.
She complains, but we just put her back in her cage. LOL

BTW, for those who do not know us, FACT has an open shelter
environment. We do NOT use cages, other than to quarantine or to
restrict movement post op. We are fortunate to have 2 secure areas in
(now) Vanessa's home to house ferrets in groups. The "general" (read
adoptable, younger ferrets), are housed in one room in the shelter
which is on the first floor of Vanessa's 2 family house. That is also
FACT's headquarters.

The elderly, as well as foster candidates and Vanessa's personal
ferrets, live in a very sunny room on the second floor where they
can receive focused attention. As this room is a bit smaller, they
get daily, extended romp/stomps when the barrier is removed to the
expansive living room.

FACT works very hard to integrate ferrets with their own kind even
those who are unaccustomed to being with ferrets. It can be a bit
testy, as it can be stressful for older ferrets that have been
"singles" for nearly all of their lives. We keep them on "watch"
to ensure they do not overly stress.

Like many other shelters, we find that the young can be pretty
adaptable given a bit of time (and, sometimes, earplugs for the
humans!); and a surprising number of "oldies" welcome the chance to be
with others of their own kind when they are given a few days to adjust.

For the few who can't cope, we move them quickly into an appropriate
foster environment.

Again, Troy, thank you for opening a door into FACT and our over 18
years of service to ferrets!

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of CT, Inc.