Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:32:35 -0400
Looks like the LOS'ers are out to attack AFA again. And lucky me I
get called out by those who have problems remembering the correct
information each time. Duh....like I don't have enough to do! Plus
I am sure if those not in the know would have done a little better
research all of what I am about to post is IN the fml archives.

>As for my post about the Maryland & Ohio show, both of which were AFA
>Sanctioned, The information I read about the Canine Distemper out
>breaks were posted in the FML Archives by the people who were actually
>attending those shows.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. First off the Maryland show with the
distemper outbreak was an IFA NOT AFA show. AFA wasn't around then -
1992 I think it was. Just IFA and FURO. Remember those??? If not, look
it up. The Montgomery County Ferret Club had a show and that was when
8 weeks old kits could be shown and sold from the show hall. A breeder
from Ohio who brought ferrets from DMK to the show was the source of
the outbreak. Back then Galaxy wasn't even a blip on Schering Ploughs
research screen - we all used FrommD. Some ferrets without their kit
series were the ones who got infected - and I think it was only the
person traveling with or was near them at the show. That show caused
the kit age be changed to 16 weeks for entry in the show hall - so
kits would then have their full protection.

The Ohio show I don't recall - please find that info and forward to
the fml so everyone will know and you can be corrected if wrong again.
There was an outbreak of CD from a Chicago show - also not AFA
sanctioned. That was from an exhibitor who was either not vaccinating
with proper vaccine or following the proper vaccine protocol. Nuff
said.

As for what AFA allows for their shows it seems like Danee has been
trying to get through to Deb on another list for a week or so and it
just ain't happenin'. So I see Danee did post it here and maybe since
it's now posted on the fml Deb will be able to comprehend just what
she's saying. As for the information that was posted either by the
LOS'er anon poster or by Deb - sorry don't remember just who - you
seem to cut and paste information to suit your cause. Here is the
vaccination information for AFA hosted shows. Sanctioned shows must do
at least what AFA hosted shows do and they can require more if they
like. The following was from the 2009 Spring Nationals Show Packet.
Please note where we REQUIRE ferrets to be vaccinated for Canine
Distemper and RECOMMEND the dates. Please also note the requirements
for kits.

ALL ferrets entered in the show hall, including those offered for
sale must be between 16 weeks and 6.5 years old. All ferrets entered
in and/or for sale at the show must have been vaccinated for Canine
Distemper and Rabies. Dates for CD vaccination should be between April
11, 2008 and March 14, 2009 and your ferret kits must have their kit
series completed. Dates for Rabies vaccination must be between April
11, 2008 and March 14, 2009 and your ferret must have been vaccinated
with IMRAB-3. See AFA Vaccination Policy enclosed in this show packet.
ACCEPTABLE PROOF OF VACCINATION: For rabies vaccination the veterinary
certificate must state the name of the vaccine or the manufacturer
(listing FERRET RABIES only is NOT ACCEPTABLE). The American Ferret
Association (AFA) recommends vaccinating ferrets with USDA licensed
vaccine products labeled for use in ferrets. Use of vaccines that do
not include ferrets on the manufacturer's label is an off-label usage;
use these products only after consulting with a ferret knowledgeable
veterinarian and only in circumstances when the risk of infection
warrants the use of the vaccine. Please provide your original
documentation at check-in for entry into the show hall. This will be a
NON-VETTED show, you are responsible for the health of your ferret, so
out of consideration for all other attendees and their ferrets, PLEASE
DO NOT BRING A SICK FERRET TO THE SHOW. Check in will be from 8:00 am
until 9:30 am on Saturday. NO ONE may enter the show hall prior to this
time.

Vickie McKimmey

Just a Business of Ferrets
www.jbferret.com
American Ferret Association
Director of Shows and Special Events
www.ferret.org
Author of Ferrets: An Animal Planet Pet Care Library Series Book