From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:47:24 -0400
Dear Governor Engell,

I am sending this message from the state of New Hampshire.  I am very
concerned over the lack of consideration your state of Michigan holds for
ferrets which are already vaccinated against rabies.  I am sure you have
been deluged with similar posts so I won't beat around the bush.

The very same rabies vaccine which is USDA approved is recognized for dogs
and cats as well as bferrets.  The idea of not making a favorable ruling in
the disposition of KODO, based on the incomplete shedding studies (on the
ferret using the bat rabies virus), is just ludicrous.  In the first place
there never was a provoked or unprovoked bite to begin with.  Would someone
who mistakenly passed their arm in front of a dog and hit the dogs tooth
cause the dog to be put to death-- I think not, if it had proper
vaccinations.

Why do they ( your public health officials) not consider this (the bat
rabies potential) in canines and felines who have not had vaccines tested
against this strain of rabies virus coincidentally?  Why does the domestic
ferret cause so much concern over that of the canine and feline variety of
companion animals?

The nation is watching you and your respective state officials.  Keep in
mind that at least 140,000 pet ferrets are sold through the retail market
each year, that is a lot of national attention.  I do pray that you can help
to instill some sensibility and rational yet common sense understanding on
this issue.  Why keep killing innocent domestic ferrets?

The educated public realizes that government officials are able to slant
presentations in their favor ... please urge repsonsible decision making in
your meetings.  PLease find enough virtue in the merits of the 90 percent
chance of no exposure to find a way to pardon KOD from execution.  Your
American public is watching, and the ferret community pleads for your
reasonable interpretations of the evidence presented.

Thank you for your time, and your considerations.

Sincerely,

Alicia K Drakiotes

electronic signature
Ferret owner, shelter volunteer