From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:12:32 EDT
Anyone flying Delta?

Check out the Sky magazine/September issue.  In my opinion, it is a
Strong honest article on ferrets titled companions:

Can I Have a Ferret?  Darlings or Demons?  answers to FAQs by Elizabeth
Rapoport.

Cute pics.  Talk about ferrets being 7 or 8 as far as maintenance
on scale of 1 to 10.  Certainly adorable, teddy-bear ears...nice
description.

It goes into litter box hits and misses, vet bills, tearing up carpeting,
US upset over Ben Stiller and others misrepresenting the ferret, and web
sites with adorable pics, Ferrets For Dummies, how they are illegal in
some places, the view of the Humane Society, the photos on Brown Trout
2004 Ferret calandar being "cute as the dickens."

Their web site is delta-sky.com
Read the article there.

Pic of Ben Stiller holding fert, describes tubes and the fun, and how
intellegent the ferret is...

I believe that many on the FML would really appreciate the article
because it was very honest about tearing the underside of a bed, and
digging up any plants.  It talked about not leaving little children alone
with any animal.  Yet, I felt that it was positive in its general feeling
about the ferret.  I did not feel insulted in any way.  Obviously, I
cannot speak for anyone else.

It was not perfect.  It had the Egypt thing wrong.  And it talked a
little too strongly, yet briefly, about not having a ferret and young
children and ferret bites.

Somehow it balanced things out in my heart to end up being one of the
better magazine articles I have read on having a ferret...But that is
just me.  I know that someone out there will disagree...especially on
the children part of the article.

I do not have children, and take in biters.  I brought home a baby ferret
that bit hard for years...Wolf.  I would not have ever allowed him around
a child.  Then I took in others that bit really hard, like Mini-Me and
Cheyene.  I loved all of them.  Now I have taken in two more biters.  I
am crazy about them.  But they are unpredictable.  I would not allow them
around children.

Anyway, if you get a chance...check it out.  It was this persons look
into the animal that we love so much that I felt was well rounded.  And
personally, I appreciated the honesty on the vet bills, illnesses,
pooping, and digging up of carpeting around doors.  I wish every pet
store made sure mom knew about these potential downsides before she
agreed to bring home a defenseless baby ferret deserving of a forever
home.