From:
Adrienne Boerger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 17:50:00 PST
There have been several people asking about getting another ferret.  I will
tell you my experience with this and although I can't say if it will apply
to everyone, it's probably pretty typical.

I had Casey for about six months when I got LouLou from someone who didn't
want her.  (LouLou was in a cage that said "Please play with me, I'm
lonely.") I brought her home and put her in the same room with Casey.  Casey
smelled her before she saw her and started chuckling.  Then she tackled
LouLou and LouLou squeaked.  I watched them carefully for hours and although
LouLou didn't like Casey bothering her, they weren't really fighting.  They
climbed into the cage and LouLou curled up in Casey's hammock and Casey was
very unhappy about that and tried to push LouLou OUT of the hammock.
Finally, Casey gave up and slept someplace else.  I felt HORRIBLE.  To make
a long story short, it took about a month before LouLou felt comfortable
with her new home and before she started to play.  She did eventually start
to act like a happy ferret and she and Casey started to wrestle and chase
each other around and they would curl up together.  They are BEST friends
now and they always find a place to sleep together.  It's often a new spot
but they always agree on it somehow!

I also think that Casey is happier with a friend to keep her company when
we're not home.  Some people worry that they won't get as much attention
from the ferrets if there are two, but honestly, with two, you get twice the
ferret love and at least with my ferrets, they try to get me to join in
their wrestling!  LouLou jumps on my leg and runs away backwards.  Casey
likes to play with the ping-pong ball when you bounce it for her.  And
truthfully, I don't always have the energy to play with them and I'm glad
they have each other.  If you look at it from their point of view - I'm sure
there is something extra they get out of being with another ferret that just
isn't completely fulfilled by us.

Good luck.

- Adrienne