From:
"Joel M. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 19:42:47 -0400
Many people I have spoken with about this case have asked why the MSPCA has
not been heard from and wondered if they just don't care about ferrets.  I
spoke today to Maureen Giacoppo of the MSPCA law enforcement department to
ask why they had not gotten involved in the prosecution of this case.  She
explained that they were fully aware of the case and that the Brookline
Police Department understood the law and were bringing the maximum charge
of two felony counts for the killing of the two ferrets.  Her office feels
that any direct action on the part of the MSPCA would thus be a duplication
of effort and an interference with the Brookline Police Department's case.
She made it clear that the MSPCA would have vigorousl pursued this case and
brought the same charges if the Brookline Police Department had not acted.
We are very proud of our Brookline Police for having caught the alleged
criminal and of Detective O'Leary for speaking out so clearly about the
viciousness of this crime.

Ms. Giacoppo expressed surprise that neither of the two major Boston papers
had run a story on this case and suggested that I contact the Boston Herald
since they have run many pro animal stories in the past.  I called the City
Desk and briefly related the story to a reporter who was previously unaware
of it, refering her to the original report on the front page of the Oct.  1
Brookline TAB.  She said that she would discuss it with the Editor and get
back within two days if they decided to run a story.