From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:34:43 EST
>Before people go wild with this-I NEVER said that all vets are
>deliberately spreading disease, let alone that ALL vets spread disease
>deliberately.  I am very disappointed you wrote as you did Big.

The implication of your post was that there is a widespread practice of
non-sanitary conditions among vets and their staff.  You implied you had
factual reports that vets are deliberately discouraging their staff from
keeping the examination area sterile in order to pass along disease for
the purpose of increasing their business.  Serious accusations blackening
the integrity of vets all over were made without once citing a single
verifiable incident that others could check for themselves.

>Furthermore, just because your experiences are different than anothers
>does not make others experiences non existent.  It does not work that way.

And just because someone makes an unverified claim doesn't mean it is true.
Life doesn't work that way, either.  You made serious, sweeping accusations
without giving one verifiable incident, name or location.  That doesn't
mean any of them are factual.  Indeed, fair play dictates that until there
are solid facts to back up such claims they be regarded as less than the
truth.

>No one who wrote had the name or location of anyone to write of.  This
>morning one person-for the first time-wrote that her office practices
>proper protocol for each and every person.  Previous to this have come
>all negative reports.  Some were just awful.

In the journalism field there is an old adage "Dog bites man - that's not
news.  Man bites dog - THAT'S news."  The same applies to the original
question.  Why should folks waste time and space telling of vets who
routinely follow proper protocol?  The people who post vet stories on the
FML routinely fall into two categories - those who are praising their vet
(by name and sometimes location) for fantastic work that goes above and
beyond their normal duties; and the rare reports of substandard vets (again
by name and location).  BIG would have to put out a daily special edition
for months or longer if every FML member wrote just a short post telling
that their vet did what is routine.

Please, instead of claiming there were negative reports, cite them
specifically.  Name the offending vet and give his or her location so
others will be able to check the facts for themselves and know which vets
to avoid.  Which vet or vets told their staffs to refrain from following
sanitary protocol in order to spread disease in order to increase their
business.  You made the claim, verify it.  The readership of the FML
deserves to know which vet or vets engage in this practice so they can
protect their ferrets and themselves.  Unsubstantiated claims are little
better then outright lies - they do just as much harm and do no one any
good.

>To pretend that ALL people are perfect is not a healthy way to live life.
>Live life on life's terms.  People are imperfect.  People sin, break laws,
>hurt, kill, steal, toss pets in the woods, yell at their parents, are
>guilty of road rage.  We are all sinners.  Let he who has no sin cast the
>first stone here.

Remember the prohibition that one should not bear false witness.  It is
right to report the specific incidents, but wrong to make claims of
widespread abuses when the facts just don't back you up.  The Scriptural
Commandments boil down to do no harm to another.  Making unverified
allegations indeed does harm to many others.

>Take responsibility for the life of your little ones.  Take responsibility
>for your own life.  Do the best YOU can to keep yourself mentally and
>spiritually and physically well and balanced.

It is not a responsible act to make unsubstantiated claims that frighten
people and blacken the integrity of an entire profession.  It is unfair,
unkind, and irresponsible.  Eventually others will no longer believe
anything from that such an irresponsible source.