From:
"Williams, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:12:22 -0500
To the FML:
Recently, a number of veterinarians and pathologists have observed a
spike in mortality in young ferrets less than one year of age with
similar symptoms.  The deaths occur in animals which appear to have
overwhelming bacterial infections which are unresponsive to a wide range
of treatments.  Several unusual findings have been seen in animals
autopsied on both the east and West Coast of the United States.

Investigations on these cases have failed to disclose a cause for the
condition, and this is probably attributable to the slow progression of
disease and the number of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs and other
treatments that are often used in a valiant attempt to keep the animals
alive.

Recent postings on the FML and in other circles on this new syndrome have
sparked a lot of interest in this "Mystery Disease" (even the name in
intriguing!)  Interest and action are good, but uncontrolled action can
quickly derail even the most straightforward investigation.  Yesterday's
suggestion of canvassing pet stores to identify and collect sick kits,
while creative and borne from only the best intentions, will quickly
alarm pet stores and their suppliers, adding to an already confusing
issue, and put potential allies on the defensive.  Additionally, we may
end up with a wide range of "sick" animals suffering from a number of
more common problems, rather than the animals we wish to target.  I
would hope to dissuade anyone from taking this approach.

An approach that would be useful, however, would be to alert
veterinarians and shelter operators to this potential disease in hopes of
identifying these animals early and obtaining diagnostic samples prior to
any attempted therapy.  This may be in the form of surgical biopsy of
abscessed skeletal muscle or lymph nodes, or necropsy tissue from animals
that have been euthanized without treatment.  As Ms. Radford said several
days ago, the prospect of euthanizing an animal without attempting
treatment is loathe to all of us; however, the use of antibiotics in
these cases (even those to which the organism is not particularly
sensitive to) lowers the concentration of bacteria to an extent where we
cannot successfully culture it, or view it under the microscope.  There
is no indication that antibiotics are causing the problem - however it is
very likely that they are masking the true culprit.

Let me also clarify that this particular disease has not been linked to
any breeder, pet store, distribution center, activity or anything at all-
we simply don't have this type of information as of yet.  However, there
are always people who seek to politicize a disease outbreak or point
fingers - this is not only unrewarding, but counterproductive, and will
not help any investigation.

In short, we are looking for ferrets under one year with a high fever
with evidence of lymph node enlargement or inflammation of the
surrounding subcutaneous tissues.  The one consistent finding has been
a very high fever (upwards of 104 in most cases.)  If you know of a
current case that would fit these criteria, please contact me at
or 202-782-2392.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM